How Would You Like to Collaborate?
I work with writers two different ways:
1. Is your manuscript complete (or nearly so)?
–> Work with me as your developmental editor.
2. Do you have an idea or a work in progress that you need help taking to the finish line?
–> Hire me as your creative mentor.
My superpower is an ability to deeply listen and draw out the best ideas from clients. I help spark ideas and build strategies.
I have collaborated with seasoned bestselling authors and aspiring writers new to the craft. Their projects spanned a range of genres, including historical fiction, literary fiction, memoir, paranormal romance, poetry, science fiction, and nonfiction.
I love helping writers finish what they start.
As your developmental editor, I will work closely with you to evaluate the strengths of your manuscript, pinpoint areas for improvement, and provide feedback and guidance on how to revise your work. This process typically entails multiple rounds of feedback and revision. Some of the key elements that we will focus on include:
- Overall structure: I will evaluate the pacing, plot twists, and development of the story. This may involve suggesting content reorganization, altered section breaks, or the development of an outline to improve the flow of the manuscript.
- Characterization (if applicable): I will assess how well the characters are developed, whether they are believable, relatable, and consistent throughout the story.
- Dialogue / Source Material: (if applicable) I will evaluate the dialogue or source material to ensure that it is realistic, engaging, and advances the dynamics of the manuscript.
- Style, voice, and tone: I will assess the writing style and tone to ensure that they are suitable for the intended audience and genre.
- Theme: I will consider the underlying message or themes of the work, and suggest ways to make them more impactful or clear.
- Clarity and readability: I will help you to express your ideas clearly and concisely, using language that is accessible and easy to understand. This can involve rephrasing sentences, eliminating jargon, or providing explanations for complex concepts.
- Identification and resolution of potential issues: I will help you identify potential issues such as gaps in content, inconsistencies in tone, or areas that may need further explanation.
- Increased credibility and impact (if applicable): A well-written and well-organized book can help to establish you as an expert in your field and increase your credibility with readers. I will provide feedback to help ensure that your work is polished, professional, and impactful, maximizing the book’s potential to influence and inspire readers.
The time and effort needed for developmental editing varies based on the length, polish, and complexity of your manuscript. During our initial consultation, we’ll discuss your project and its needs. Afterward, I’ll provide you with a cost estimate for my services. Please note that the estimate is not a reflection of your writing skills or the quality of your book. It is simply a fair evaluation of the time and resources required to provide comprehensive developmental editing.
Pricing for developmental editing services will vary depending on the length, level of polish, and complexity of your manuscript. Here are a couple of examples to give you an idea:
- For a fairly straightforward and well-revised 65,000-word manuscript, the cost would be around $3500.
- For a more complex 120,000-word manuscript that requires extensive revision, the cost would be around $9000.
Payment terms are typically 50% upfront and the remaining balance due upon receipt of my completed edits. However, if you need to break the payment into smaller installments, we can work out a payment plan that suits your needs.
Rest assured, I won’t leave you stranded after delivering the edited manuscript. Throughout the process, we’ll maintain an open channel of communication, and I’ll be available to provide necessary clarifications as you make your final revisions.
At the end of our collaboration, you’ll have a polished and professionally edited manuscript that’s ready for the next steps, whether that’s submitting it to a copy editor, publishing house, or self-publishing.
For writers seeking accountability and feedback during the ongoing process of creation, we can collaborate as mentee/mentor.
As your creative mentor, I am committed to supporting you throughout your writing process. Whether you need help starting and finishing a book, staying disciplined, organizing a messy project, or aligning your voice to your vision, I’m your guy.
We can arrange biweekly meetings, which provides the ideal pace for most writers. This allows you the freedom to work at your own pace and account for life’s ups and downs in between calls.
If your writing project is a top priority and you have ample time to work on it, we can meet weekly to keep the momentum going. Whatever your needs, I will work with you to establish a schedule that suits you best.
To help you stay in breakthrough mode, you’ll get regular manuscript support via email/chat, document annotations and commentary, plus one-hour phone consultations.
- $1350/month – weekly calls
- $700/month – biweekly calls
How to Get Started
Use the form below and tell me what you’re working on.
During our first call, we will discuss your creative project and identify next steps for it.